Want To See How I Make A Screencast?

Not all screencasts are created equal.  What I mean by that is, there are lots of different tools one can use in order to create a screencast.  There are different types of software and applications such as Jing, Demo Builder, CamStudio, uTIPu, and what I use, Camtasia Studio.  There are also lots of different settings and effects you can use within those tools.  I decided to show you what steps I go through before, during, and after recording a screencast to end up with what you normally will see as an end product on DemoGirl.  This is not really a tutorial on how to use Camtasia Studio.  It’s more of a way for me to show you what settings I use when creating a screencast.  Hopefully it will be useful to those just getting started.

At first, I wasn’t sure how I was going to record a screencast showing how I record a screencast.   Sound confusing?  Yeah, it did to me too.  Then I remembered that even though I long ago upgraded to Camtasia Studio Version 4, I still have Version 3.  So, I made the recording with version 3 but showed you all of the features I use in version 4.  Pretty nifty, huh?  Here’s my screencast tour of how I make screencasts for DemoGirl:

Click Here To Watch The Screencast 7m49s

Want this screencast on your site?  Click here to get the code for this and other DemoGirl screencasts

Tags: ,

27 Responses to “Want To See How I Make A Screencast?”

1. Lara June 17, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Wow, this is a great intro to making screencasts thank you!!! I’ve never made a one before and have a mac so am not using the same production software – but these tips were super helpful for me to see the flow of how a screencast is made. It will also help me to decide what features my software needs to have – thanks again!

2. Abel September 29, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Hello Demogirl.com,

I found your sample by accident. I was trying to figure out the meaning of ‘SCREENCAST’ as mentioned in the book that I am studying to teach English to English Language Learners.

It is a whole new world to me…this ‘SCREENCAST’ thing. Thanks for spending the time on showing other people how to do it. Now I have to check on how much it cost to buy the software so I can use it myself (when I can afford to get one).

3. Larry008 April 20, 2009 at 11:49 pm #

DemoCreator could also be one in the screen recording software list. http://www.sameshow.com/democreator/demo-creator-client.html#107
    Here are some samples created by this software.

4. Nikkie March 10, 2009 at 11:27 am #

Molly – you’re great! I love the fact that these allow me to learn so much in such a short amunt of time.

Also, I recommend Camtasia to anyone starting out with screencasts. Super easy to use and the latest version is even better! You can check it out for free for 30 days. That’s what I did before buying the full version (worth it).

@ John M – I hope you’re friends with DemoGirl, otherwise, why the condescendingly informal tone? I think your comment about the accent may hold a tiny bit of water, but that’s a terrible way to give constructive feedback.

5. art February 10, 2009 at 7:31 am #

Molly,
    Great work! Have you purchased v5? Any change in your work flow using the new version? Art

6. Steve Lewis September 15, 2008 at 9:01 pm #

Hello Demogirl,

The “How to make a Screencast” was very clear and very well done like all your work. Making screencasts is one thing but making them so they are entertaining and interesting is a real talent. Thanks for sharing them.

-Steve Lewis

7. Netty Gritty May 1, 2008 at 12:37 am #

Hello Demogirl,
    I found this blog via Blogcatalog. I am enjoying it very much. Thanks for the work you do here! :D

I am gonna try make screencasts – thanks to this tutorial!

8. kairouan.org February 3, 2008 at 5:21 pm #

DG,

We at http://www.kairouan.org like the way you make things look so easy!

Yhank you for taking the time to test the metioned services an eliver your opinion

Salam

9. John M January 24, 2008 at 2:51 pm #

Ahem (clearing throat) (softly)

Molly, ol’ buddy, from a professional standpoint, you also need to watch those, well, those Valley Girl inflections in your voice.

This is just as important as eliminating a Boston or Long Island accent if you aspire to anything including public speaking – like doing screencasts…

The content is easy. Putting it over well is not.

Just tryin’ to be helpful…
    ;-)

10. John M January 24, 2008 at 2:41 pm #

Molly, ol’ buddy, I tried to watch this video and gave up because the narration seems muddy to me. Did you do this one while chomping down some mashed potatoes? mashed turnips? punkin pie?

Now, before you ask, my hearing isn’t perfect, and, in fact, some female voices give me a problem with discrimination, i.e. picking up the consonants at the beginnings and/or endings of words.

However, I would remind you that many of your prospective readers have less-than-great hearing. You, and others who want to expound on screencasts or podcasts or whatever, need to heed the advice of old Father Ulrich in German class: “Sprechen sie langsam und deutlich” – Speak slowly and clearly.

11. Fred January 24, 2008 at 9:31 am #

Hey demogirl,
    Excellent screencast. Can you tell me when you used version 3 to show version 4 did you actually click on the make a recording button in version 4? That would have made two recorders working at the same time. Can you send me more detailed instructions on how to do this please? I have version 4 and the newest version 5. Just lost on how to show people how to use version 5 using version 4. Whewww! That was a long post. Hope you can help me here. Keep up the great work demogirl.

Thanks Fred (Fellow Screencaster)

12. Retna January 22, 2008 at 8:18 pm #

Why kind of microphone are you using?

Love your screencasts! You have inspired me to finally get the ball rolling for some of my own.

Thanks,

IH

13. demogirl January 16, 2008 at 10:13 am #

Hey Nils, I love the music in the video on your homepage. Great work!

14. Nils Geylen January 16, 2008 at 5:56 am #

This was weird to watch: it’s what I’ve been doing at teach-me.org for the last six months now.

Most of it we do the same, although we put a bit more effort into the branding, with an introductory title clip and one at the end for instance. We also combine callouts with the narration because that helps our users memorize what they see.

We’ve decided not to switch to v5 yet, although it’s starting to itch; like you said: lotsa cool features in there.

Anyway, it was fun to see this. Keep on screencasting!

15. 2.0 Weblogs January 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm #

Cool, thanks for taking the time.

16. Paisano January 15, 2008 at 6:36 am #

Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea how much work was involved! You do a fantastic job to make it all appear so seemless and effortless! There is great complexity in making things appear simple, huh? I love this site too. Keep up the great work.

Pai

17. Lynn January 15, 2008 at 5:46 am #

Thank you! This screencast was particularly helpful for a newbie like me. Since discovering your site, I’ve added Demogirl.com to my reader and look forward to watching each of your new screencasts. You do superb work by clearly explaining each feature or each step (as the case may be). Keep up the good work. I’ll keep watching =)

18. demogirl January 14, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

@Chris – I do have different versions of Camtasia so I recorded with v3 and showed how I use v4. Hope it helped you make a decision, although I don’t have v5 yet, which has even more cool features.

@Tyler – Thank you so much for taking the time to watch the screencasts. Glad to know they’re actually useful!

19. Tyler January 14, 2008 at 5:17 pm #

Molly,
    You do outstanding work, I’ve been tunning in for quite some time. I can’t begin to tell you how valuable these screen casts are. As a software developer at a consulting firm I’m constantly trying to keep abreast of all the new product launches and trying to discern exactly what’s out there. You help keep me from being blind sided!

Thanks for keeping all of us in the loop.

Best,
    Tyler

20. Chris Clement January 14, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

Thanks, btw..that one is VERY much appreciated as I wondered if it was worth getting CS again. I used it years ago and am happy to see some very good progress in the software.

21. Chris Clement January 14, 2008 at 5:11 pm #

’bout time. /me smiles. Now do tell how you did a screencast of a screencaste? dual instances of CS?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Evolving Web - November 11, 2008

How To Make Screencasts – The Definitive Guide…

Today I wanted to read up on screencasting. I went to Google and found more about screen scraping than screencasting. It seems that most How-tos (including this one I’m sure) are scraped by fake sites that replicate content – and……

2. Screencasting resources « InfoSoup - January 28, 2008

[...] 2008 DemoGirl (what does she do all day?!) has a good screencast of how she makes screencasts: http://demogirl.com/2008/01/14/want-to-see-how-i-make-a-screencast/  She lists many other 2.0 resources of interest as [...]

3. Affordable Web Design and Hosting » Blog Archive » Recording Screencast Videos with Camtasia Studio - January 22, 2008

[...] are using other screen recording software like Demo Builder, Qarbon Viewletbuilder or Turbodemo. How I Make A Screencast [Demogirl.com] Recording Screencast Videos with Camtasia Studio – Digital [...]

4. Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites Of The Day For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL » Blog Archive » Demo Girl Screencasts - January 20, 2008

[...] fact, she’s even made a screencast showing how to make a [...]

5. The Distant Librarian - January 16, 2008

Watch how Molly McDonald makes a screencast

6. Demo Girl Screencast…How She Does A Screencast « Matt’s Cuppa - January 16, 2008

[...] by telecommatt on January 16, 2008 Want To See How I Make A Screencast? « Demo Girl I decided to show you what steps I go through before, during, and after recording a screencast to [...]