Using The WordPress Video Player

As you may know, I use a lot of video in my blog posts. Well, up until now I’ve been using Viddler to display the videos and also linking to a video hosted on our server. Today I upgraded my WordPress.com space and will be using their player to show off my screencasts. I think visually, the WordPress player shows off my work in better detail, and that’s very important to me.

In this screencast, I’ll show you how easy it is to upload your own video to your WordPress.com blog. I hope you find it useful. I’ve also added a poll to this post so please let me know what you think is the best way to share my videos on WordPress.com.

[wpvideo BDrqedFr]

[polldaddy poll=1300802]

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Using The WordPress Video Player”

1. Harry Brown October 6, 2010 at 10:22 am #

the best video player that i use is none other than VLC Player, it is free and i think it is open source too.`:

2. James September 21, 2009 at 7:54 am #

Hi Demo Girl,

I liked your video! Thanks!

I am trying to add a windows media player file as my video but only get a link to it.

What am I doing wrong?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    James

3. 1rudecrudedude August 24, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

very frustrated with wordpress video, in fact wanted to leave because of it so thanks for the post. hoping this can help for my future video posts!

4. Vermont fall foliage lvr August 12, 2009 at 7:05 am #

To answer #17 – isn’t it true that anything you can do on wordpress.com can be done on wordpress.org if you tweak it the way you want?

5. Christian July 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

Is there a way of eliminating the WP Logo from the player?

6. Edward Palomo June 28, 2009 at 6:20 am #

Does this apply to WordPress.org sites too? I’m planning on having this :)

7. mssmotorrd May 3, 2009 at 4:51 am #

It’s the first time I commented here and I must say you share us genuine, and quality information for bloggers! Good job.
    p.s. You have a very good template for your blog. Where did you find it?

8. Michael Pick February 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm #

Sorry, I mean WordPress.com as opposed to any old .com (too used to calling it .com – apologies).

In that case you’d upload your file to your WordPress.com blog’s admin area (no need to actually post it on the attached blog), grab the embed code from the player and paste it into your self-hosted blog’s post (or anywhere else).

So you’d have a fully working, ready to stream HD video player for your post (no extra steps required). The other plugins I mentioned are alternatives if you’d like to actually self-host your video files on your own server, and will work with pretty much any format (not just flv). Hope that helps.

9. nickparksdotorg February 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm #

So you are saying that I’d have to upload to a .com site such as youtube, or a site that will convert it to a flash file before I could actually load it to the site? Thanks for the help Michael, and demogirl I love your site!

Thanks for all of the help!

10. Michael Pick February 19, 2009 at 2:13 am #

@nickparksdotorg – the WordPress player is a .com feature, but can be embedded in your self-hosted blog (but you’d need to upload your content via a .com account first, then embed)

If you want to host your own videos on a self hosted blog, check out the range of options on the plugins side – there are a lot of (free) plugins that make video within WordPress a lot less… troublesome than the default implementation :)

@Molly – apologies for thread hijacking, no hard feelings if you moderate this into the trash

• demogirl February 20, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

No apologies needed! Thanks for helping out.

11. nickparksdotorg February 19, 2009 at 12:30 am #

I’m having a hell of a time getting videos to work using WP2.5, any suggestions? I upload them and instead of getting a video player it shows the caption. I’m using my own domain and host. Do you have to be signed up through wordpress in order for it to work?

12. demogirl January 26, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

Esbjorn, The videos that you see in the WordPress player are hosted by WordPress.com. My older screencasts (up until last week) were hosted on our server, which isn’t a problem either.

I’m not sure if I understand the second part of your question. If you have the video files and a space upgrade on WordPress.com then you shouldn’t have any problems uploading the video to your blog. Make sense?

13. Esbjorn Larsen January 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

Demogirl, where is the video file hosted? It seems to me that it is hosted on your own web host. That will cause a bandwidth problem when you get loads of readers. Do you know if you can use the WordPress feature if you host your file on other sources such as Mevio? I’m guessing not since you would only use the embed code from Mevio in that case. Still, just wondering what your thoughts are? Thank you for a very good blog.

14. Teck January 23, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Hello Demo Girl,

I found your site via WordPress.TV Thank for taking the time
    to make a screen cast about the WordPress Video player I have
    one question does the player support SWF. format.

Thanks again I will be checking your informative site again. :)

Teck,

15. demogirl January 23, 2009 at 11:10 am #

Heather, You’re right. I just checked and the vid isn’t showing up in Greader. Not sure why…

16. Michael January 23, 2009 at 8:55 am #

Awesomeness!

Thanks for your kind words about WordPress.tv.

Love your style, so really stoked that you’d share your screencast with us. And if you stray into WordPress waters again, we’d love to have some more demogirl goodness.

Have a great weekend!

17. demogirl January 23, 2009 at 8:36 am #

Hey Michael, Thanks for the tip about the HD option, excited to try it out.

I’d love it if you used my screencast on WordPress.tv. The videos up there are really great. Thanks for the support!

18. Michael January 23, 2009 at 12:20 am #

Hey Molly

Thanks for choosing the WordPress.com player – hope you enjoy it! If you upload 1280×720 footage to it, the HD option turns on, which looks awesome in full-screen :)

Cool screencast – funnily enough we were just working on one about the same feature. If you’re cool with it, we’d love to feature it on WordPress.tv (linking back to you of course). Ditto if you make any more WordPress related videos – your work rocks and I’m sure it would be appreciated by a whole bunch of people over in WordPress land.

Thanks to shazow for the tip off, too – I’ll report that our video tech wizard.

19. shazow January 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

For whatever reason, this video doesn’t show up on Linux with Flash 10.0.21.1_alpha.

Your other ones work great though.

20. Heather January 22, 2009 at 1:59 pm #

Is it just me, or does the WordPress video player not display in Google Reader? Your Viddler videos always do, but I had to go to the blog to see this one :(

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Using the WordPress.com Video Player – A DemoGirl Tour | WordPress Topsites - December 30, 2009

[...] Using the WordPress.com Video Player – A DemoGirl Tour Sponsored Ads – Advertisement The awesome DemoGirl (AKA Molly McDonald) takes us on a tour of the WordPress.com video player, available for WordPress.com users via the optional Space upgrade http://support.wordpress.com/space-upgrade/. Originally posted at DemoGirl.com [...]

2. How to migrate your Wordpress.com blog to your own site « David Strom’s Web Informant - April 1, 2009

[...] work as well with handling video content, which is better on the WP.com side (see this note here on what you need to do this from DemoGirl). If you have a lot of video content, stick with the WP.com site and pay for a space upgrade. (go [...]

3. Website Shout Out « Teck~Line - January 23, 2009

[...] Screen Shot captured & edited By Teck,  and captured using the free desktop application Jing, Image is linked to Demo Girl’s article ”Using The WordPress Video Player” via DemoGirl.com [...]